• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looooooong Fermentation

NDeselle

Apprentice
Reaction score
I did my first all grain, a hefe, and finally got through it all and into the primary.  It was 30 degrees in the garage so I was not surprised when it did not start bubbling for a few days.  After about 5 days it started and then bubbled along pretty good for about 10 days.  When it slowed way down, I transferred it in to the secondary where it kept bubbling along slowly throught the airlock.  it has been in there 18 days and I still get a bubble through the airlock every 3 to 5 minutes.  I am a total of 30 days into this and I am wondering if that is OK?  When I transferred to the secondary, I took a sip and it tasted decent.  It has cleared very well and looks great.  I don't want to bottle it too soon and blow up the bottles and I don't have a good way to steal any out of there to check with the Hydro.  I am very new to this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Those cold temps are a big problem.  I doubt you will get the exact yeast flavors you were hoping for (especially if it is ale yeast)  I'd personally head to Walmart and get something to extract a sample.  Did you ever achieve temps in the 60's for any sustained amount of time?

Yes, I should have mentioned that.  It was freezing for about 5 days.  After that it warmed up quite a bit into the 50's and 60's.  That is when the fermentation kicked off the way I was expecting it to.  Then it went that way for about a week or so.  I transferred it into the secondary and then moved it into the house where it is 67-68 all the time.  Like I mentioned, the tasted seemed about what  was going for when I transferred it to the secondary but I was concerned that i still see some activity at this point.  It appears to be less every few days but has not stopped.  Today will be 38 days since I brewed.  20 days in the primary and 18 in the secondary.

Thanks,

nathan

I use a bottling cane to "steal" enough new beer to fill a hydrometer flask.
  Of course after the reading one must sample for flavor and texture....

I've been fermenting a pale wheat at at 62 for almost 3 and one half weeks, it's just wont quit......

Yes i was wondering about the yeast as well what did you use ? and those temps will lag your fermentation time as well .. not the 50's or 60's but the 30's it takes time mainly if your using an ale yeast out there . as for a check on the ol gravity you dont have a tube you can use real quick ? you can siphon some out with your mouth into your hydrometer flask just dont put it back into the carboy .....if your still bubbling and there is no mold and it looks ok your ok .if you have it inside now and its going just wait ....

seems to be some yeast issues with wheats lately ...
I as well have a dark roasted wit (oxymoron i know ) that i did for a quick batch fill a keg and i had a 1.055 og and twos in primary it was only down to 1.023 ..... its still bubbling away lag sucks last night i transferred it into secondary which i wasnt wanting to do and sprinkled a small amount of champagne yeast into it to help move it along im ready to drink lmao   

Back