• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2 stage fermentation

KJlive

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am not yet an advanced brewer. (Still using kits and experimenting with ingredients). I am venturing into 2 stage fermentation to improve my brew clarity. Question.....after 1 week of fermenting, I am going to transfer my beer from the bucket fermentor into a glass carboy. Is there anything I need to do other than just transferring and filtering? Do I need to add any additional ingredients? Thanks in advance for any tips!

I two stage.  I prefer to let my fermenting be close to done before the 2nd stage.  I like to make bigger beers and even with temps over 68f I don't transfer until there is over a minute between bubbles which is between 10 days and 2 weeks.

Just make sure all your equipment is sterilized. It's also a good time to take a gravity check since your transfering anyways.

As far as other ingredients.  There is nothing to add unless you want to add it or the recipe calls for it.

Back