• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

petri-dish,in collection of yeast cultures and/or yeast that you buy

beercheer4me

Master Brewer
Reaction score
How many people go to the extreme to do this,, really is a good way to build up a yeast bank full of differant cultures / strains and with good practices, build a yeast bank full of differant stains and styles  
Seen a youtube video suba something or other on this really was petty cool video.
I have been kicking it around really could save some money (((MAYBE ))))  
Has this been the normal thing to do in homebrewing for some one that has been brewing for years ?
What are your experinces? if you have done this and what equiement do you use ?
He had a  candle of some sort, wire loop, petri-dishes, and canned some wort for use,
Thanks  

I do it because I love the process of doing things.  There is of course costs in new tools and supplies, but I have fun with it.

On a side note, I use 3 ways to recycle yeast:
1. After racking to the secondary, add a new batch on top of the yeast cake.  For example, brew an English Ale, then follow it with a stout.
2. Scrub the yeast and store in fridge in a sanitized mason jar for up to 3 months.  When you need that type of yeast, warm to room temp/wort temp & pitch.
3. Store a stab of the yeast in an agar filled test tube and keep up to 3 years.  When you need that type, go thru the cycle of creating a starter: test tube mini starter, double in 400ml, double in 800ml, then pitch.  That's not exact, but you get the idea....

Back