• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

force carbonation time temperature pressure chart

how long does it take you to force cabonate a 5 gallon corny using the set / forget method?

• 1 week

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 1.5 weeks

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 2.5 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

maltsteeper

Apprentice
Reaction score
I got bored and decided to try to make a force carbonation time chart for 40 psi.I used the set / forget pressure chart from kegerators.com and took the optimum volumes for a given temperature and used the referenced pressure to extrapolate that into a time frame for force carbing a 5 gallon corny at 40 psi.The numbers I came up with are all based on 14 days being the normal time frame to force carbonate using the set/forget method and a normal equalibrium pressure.This has been my experience, and the numbers on my chart seem to bear out what I've experienced force carbing at 40 psi.I also based my numbers on a linear increase as far as time / pressure / temperature....and made no adjustments for beer style.If anyone has any suggestions on improving or making the data more accurate, I wouldn't mind updating this to make it more accurate / useful....the math used was basically to take a given temp say 40 deg. f...find the optimum carb volumes from the kegerators.com chart (2.39 volumes)....find the pressure for that volume on the chart (11 psi)....multiply 11 psi x 14 (days) = 154...divide 154 by 40 (psi) = 3.85 (days to reach 2.39 volumes)....then 2.39 divided by 3.85 = .621 volumes per day......then just multiply .621 by a given number of days to see what the carb level will be at 40 psi .

Disclaimer: this will not be exactly precise , but should get you close.

Attachments

• force carbonation time chart.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 3,142
OK.  Am I doing something wrong?  I pressure at about 12 psi and shake my keg and then add more co2 and shake. Repeat whenever I have the chance for a day or two  and it's carbonated.  I can't for the life of me find a bad reason to shake the keg.

Which leaves me to my question. How long does it take beer under co2 to create carbonic acid?

MikeinWA said:
OK.  Am I doing something wrong?  I pressure at about 12 psi and shake my keg and then add more co2 and shake. Repeat whenever I have the chance for a day or two  and it's carbonated.   I can't for the life of me find a bad reason to shake the keg.

Which leaves me to my question. How long does it take beer under co2 to create carbonic acid?

not sure about the carbonic acid. Lots of folks use the shake method...and if that's a process that works for you I'd continue doing that....for me I can't seem to get consistent results with shaking, so I prefer to let it sit at a constant pressure and temp for a set amount of days...or use the set/forget method if I'm not in a hurry...that allows for a more consistent / repeatable result for me.

MikeinWA said:
You are a more patient man than I ;)

I guess, but if you look at the chart at 38 f we're only talking about 3.5 days to get to 2.4 volumes... Even less time at colder temps. ;)

Back