• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Topping off in a secondary

NDeselle

Apprentice
Reaction score
Since I always do my primary ferment in a 5 gallon carboy, I lose about a half gallon in the blow off.  Has anyone ever boiled then cooled some top off water at this point or should I just quit being lame and buy a 6 gallon carboy?

I am pretty sure that it will dilute the beer more than its worth but I was just wondering.

Thanks,

Nathan

I wouldn't add water at the secondary.  Either buy a 6 gallon carboy or be happy with 4.5 gallons.

David

I would have to agree, Don't add to the secondary. I use a 6.5 as primary and use my 5 for secondary.

Cheers
Preston

I figured but it was worth a question.  As soon as i can find a 6 gallon carboy here in DFW then I'll grab it up.  For now, I'll be happy with the 4.5 net.  As long as I always have beer, I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Or a large bucket is fine for primary.  Still usually cheaper than the Italian carboys we're limited to now.

NDeselle said:
I figured but it was worth a question.  As soon as i can find a 6 gallon carboy here in DFW then I'll grab it up.  For now, I'll be happy with the 4.5 net.  As long as I always have beer, I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Here in D/FW, both <a href="http://homebrewhq.com/Default.aspx">Homebrew Headquarters</a> in Richardson and <a href="http://www.finevinewines.com/default.aspx">The Winemaker's Toy Store</a> in Carrollton have 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys. Glass or Better Bottle. Both reasonable prices.

Scott

I often check classifieds for things that could be used for brewing, and got lucky last year.  I found dude selling a monster glass carb that allows me to ferment 6 to 6.5 gallons with enough head room to not worry about a blowout.  This allows me to top off my secondary with nothing but the good stuff.

Check the classifieds a couple times a month.  You might find a jewel in the rough.

Thanks Scott!  I'll make a point of stopping into one of these shops next time I venture into the city.

Nathan

Back