Author Topic: Topping off in a secondary  (Read 7372 times)

Offline NDeselle

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Topping off in a secondary
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
Since I always do my primary ferment in a 5 gallon carboy, I lose about a half gallon in the blow off.  Has anyone ever boiled then cooled some top off water at this point or should I just quit being lame and buy a 6 gallon carboy?

I am pretty sure that it will dilute the beer more than its worth but I was just wondering.

Thanks,

Nathan

Offline dharalson

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Topping off in a secondary
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
I wouldn't add water at the secondary.  Either buy a 6 gallon carboy or be happy with 4.5 gallons.

David

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »
I would have to agree, Don't add to the secondary. I use a 6.5 as primary and use my 5 for secondary.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline NDeselle

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
I figured but it was worth a question.  As soon as i can find a 6 gallon carboy here in DFW then I'll grab it up.  For now, I'll be happy with the 4.5 net.  As long as I always have beer, I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
Or a large bucket is fine for primary.  Still usually cheaper than the Italian carboys we're limited to now.

Offline dogma46an2

• “Sir, you are drunk!” and ”Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”
  • “I drink to make other people interesting.”
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »
Ya Nooooo Bad ! Bad ! ..... don't be a Budweiser be a dude 
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”

Offline sbbish

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
I figured but it was worth a question.  As soon as i can find a 6 gallon carboy here in DFW then I'll grab it up.  For now, I'll be happy with the 4.5 net.  As long as I always have beer, I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Here in D/FW, both Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson and The Winemaker's Toy Store in Carrollton have 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys. Glass or Better Bottle. Both reasonable prices.

Scott

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
I often check classifieds for things that could be used for brewing, and got lucky last year.  I found dude selling a monster glass carb that allows me to ferment 6 to 6.5 gallons with enough head room to not worry about a blowout.  This allows me to top off my secondary with nothing but the good stuff.

Check the classifieds a couple times a month.  You might find a jewel in the rough.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline NDeselle

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »
Thanks Scott!  I'll make a point of stopping into one of these shops next time I venture into the city.

Nathan

modification