• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Digital refractometers

ee1958

Apprentice
Reaction score
I ahve a couple of the normal look through (0/35 Brix) hand helds. I just got from AMAZON a HANNA INSTRUMENTS HI 96811 (0/50.0 BRIX) for about $150, about 2 or 3 times the handhelds. It's definitely portable and battery operated.
It uses the International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis Methods Book. There is an internal LED for a consistent source of light which doesn't pass through the sample which sits atop the prism. BTW a couple drops of wort quickly match temperature to the prism, whose temperature is monitored to provide the compensation. Watching the readout stabilize confirms this.

I use the John Palmer / T&M Szamatulski methodology. BTW Maltose Express which they own will ship a kit for any of the brews in their books.

Although not exactly true, BRIX can be used just like "POINTS". A close equivalent is 3.85 POINTS/BRIX.

To lern more than you want to know, WIKIPEDIA BRIX which will take you to PLATO.

Back