• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

5.2 pH Stabilizer

pcdiver

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    I purchased this product from my local supplier (as a favor) that is supposed to stabilize the mash at a pH of 5.2 regardless of the original pH.   I don't yet own a titration kit, but the test strips hit on 5.2.
  10/16/04 was my first all grain batch with this product.

It's called:  5.2 Stabilizer, by 5 Star Chemicals. 1-800-782-7019... IF you are interested.

Have any of you tried this stuff yet? ;D

Yeah, I use it in every beer I make now. Works like a charm -- just one less thing I have to worry about while brewing.  ;)

I second (or third) that! I'm on a well and my water ph ranges from 7.5 to 8.5 depending on the season. I use 5.2 in my mash and it sets my mash ph right on the money every time.  I wouldn't brew without it.

Marc

B3 has it, and it's approx $12 for a jar / bottle that will last for a long time.

I made a light beer with it and it made my beer undrinkable. Salty. The OG was 1.036. I am on a well and have been using it for a couple of years with no problems. I did read after I made it that it can throw salty flavours to some styles of beers. Well, that was an under statement.

Had not heard that, but 5.2 adds buffering capacity to the mash to keep it in the 5.2-5.5 range. 

But it doesn't add calcium and magnesium to your water if those are low, or adjust the chloride/sulfate ratio to better fit the style, etc.  The various minerals needed to adjust your chemistry are much cheaper than 5.2, and with them you can address all these issues specifically for each batch/style.  Yes, it's "one more thing" but it works and is not that hard with Palmers spreadsheet from his site.

If that doesn't hold interest, then 5.2 is great for mash pH adjustment.

Murphy said:
I made a light beer with it and it made my beer undrinkable. Salty. The OG was 1.036. I am on a well and have been using it for a couple of years with no problems. I did read after I made it that it can throw salty flavours to some styles of beers. Well, that was an under statement.
Light beers are harder because there is less malt to hide anything. I usually don't use anything in my light beers. My water is fairly neutral here in the suburbs of Houston.

[edit]
Forgot to mention, I do use 5.2 just not for light beers and usually only 1/4 what they recommend.

Cheers
Preston

Love the stuff big help with the all grain I don't know how much it helps with extract batches

We just started to use it. Feels like cheating but it works. Once I get over my yeast learning binge we can address the water balance issue. One thing at a time. I'm not a freakin' chemist yet. But the deeper we go into brewing, we may qualify as biochemists or something. Right now... 5.2 is a crutch. A pretty cool crutch.

AS someone referenced using it in extract, that is something you need not concern yourself with. Remember, in extract, the mash has already been completed. The pH is no longer an issue. Water is an issue, but not pH.

i'm a small partial mash, extract brewer. due to equipment and space constraints i max at about 3# grains and some extract kits come with a full 2#.
i add base grains to the extract kit grains and partial mash that using anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended 5.2 to help hit target [due to imbalanced grain bill] just to add a bit more depth and slight bump to ABV.
the 5.2 seems to help my conversion a fair amount, but i also tend to add a little amylase enzyme too, also due to imbalanced grain bill [not enough base malts to convert the specialty grains].

so far i have not used the 5.2 in any light beer or pilsners so i'll have to keep the 'salty' possibility in mind.

Instead of 5.2 isn't is possible to use a small amount of Acidulated Malt in the mash to achieve the same thing?

The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4). If you're lucky enough to have a water profile that matches these additions, it may actually do something for you.
Unfortunately, most water profiles do not fit these salts. There is no such thing as a magic bullet that "locks" Ph to a certain point. Water chemistry requires a start point based on your water profile and grain bill. Acidulated malt or lactic acid in varying amounts can compensate to bring your mash Ph up into a desirable range. Dark beers may actually require soda rather than lactic to bring the Ph down to a desirable range.
Therefore the additions in this "stabilizer" are only beneficial if your grain bill and water profile are already relatively close to the target you're seeking.
Five-Star makes some great products. Unfortunately this is not one of them.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4). If you're lucky enough to have a water profile that matches these additions, it may actually do something for you.
Unfortunately, most water profiles do not fit these salts. There is no such thing as a magic bullet that "locks" Ph to a certain point. Water chemistry requires a start point based on your water profile and grain bill. Acidulated malt or lactic acid in varying amounts can compensate to bring your mash Ph up into a desirable range. Dark beers may actually require soda rather than lactic to bring the Ph down to a desirable range.
Therefore the additions in this "stabilizer" are only beneficial if your grain bill and water profile are already relatively close to the target you're seeking.

Agreed.  If you have very hard water with a high Calcium content, it will work fine.  If you have low Calcium in your water, it may cause other side effects that you do not want.  The phosphate buffers will combine with the Calcium in the water and precipitate out as Calcium phosphate.  The lower Calcium left in the water may not be enough for good yeast activity and flocculation.  Even the experts at Five-Star admit that it was developed for a customer with specific water profile and is not suitable for everyone.  Use 5.2 Stabilizer with caution.

I have no doubt that 5.2 works for many. It is manufactured by a very reputable company. Just be aware that pH isn't the only thing of major importance in the mash.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:

Yeah my well water is burton water effectively it just has a PH of like 6.5-7.8 idk why but the water never changes the PH just fluctuates and I check it with a well calibrated meter.

I have soft water and find that pH Stabilizer has no effect on pH at all.  So I agree with the most recent posters.  It may be useful for certain types of water, but you shouldn't assume that it will work for you.  It is not being advertised honestly. 

Back