• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best time to add lactose?  And proposed recip

B

Brian Thomas

I'm putting together a recipe for a Sweet Stout and am going to add lactose for that nice sweetness.  I've read recipes that call for it to be added at the beginning of the boil and others that call for it to be added during the last 15 minutes.  I've seen others that called for no-boil additions.  I've always added at the beginning of the boil, is this correct?  Also, what are the advantages of adding it later in the boil?  

Oh, and here is the recipe I'm going to try (10 gal):
14# Pale Malt
2# Carafa II
1# Cara-Pils
1# Crystal 80
1# Flaked Oats
.75# Flaked Wheat
.5# Roasted Barley
1.5# Milk Sugar
2 oz. Northern Brewer for 60 min
1 oz. Fuggles for 15 min
Going to use some East Coast Ale yeast I have on hand.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Brian

Adding it early in the boil will reduce your hop utilization.
That could be a good or bad thing, just account for it.

The last one I made, I added 1lb of lactos and 1lb Malto dextrin to the last 15min of the boil.

Then ended up adding 2 more lbs of lactos when I bottled the brew.

This was a 6gal batch
Took 1st place in the State Fair

I can't see how it would possibly matter, except for hop utilization.
I made a sweet stout, and put it in along with the priming sugar. The stuff does not ferment, so it just seems silly to put it in while it was fermenting. Like sticking the bottle caps in there.
Maybe someone can explain me wrong, but I say, just stick it in when you bottle it.

Back