• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lactose addition?

D

DesMoinesBrewer

Still looking for some help on Lactose...brewing tomorrow so I could use some sage advice  ;)

When is the best time to add? Beginning, middle, or end of boil?  Brewing a sweet stout (see recipe listed under my unregistered name, "Brian Thomas")

Thanks much!

-Brian

Brian,

I have never used lactose but from what I have read it is like most powder adjucts, so at the end should be fine.  But, I would not think that it really matters to much.

Don

I have a kolsh recipe that has a maltose addition and I just add it about the last 5 minutes of the boil, as long as it disolves, it really doesn't matter too much, it's just a sugar addition and doesn't do anything for flavor, just sweetness and body. The last 5 minutes or so should be fine, just be careful it doesn't go to the botom and burn. When I add the maltose, I just gently stir it in so it does sink and burn on the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up adding in the last 15 minutes of the boil...just to makes sure it was sterilized.

It is the first time I've brewed a Sweet Stout.  I'll let you know how the recipe turns out as I really have no idea how this one is going to taste  ;D

Oh, and here is the recipe in a nutshell...

14.5#UK Pale Malt
2# Carafa II
1# Cara-Pils
1# Crystal 80
1# Flaked Oats
.75# Flaked Wheat
.5# Roasted Barley
2# Milk Sugar
2 oz. Northern Brewer for 60 min
1 oz. Fuggles for 15 min

Single step infustion mash at 154, 60 mins.

I have also added lactos and Dextrin while I bottled the brew.

Just pre-boil with your priming sugar.

Back