• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager Yeast

steve0nashville

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So i brewed a light ale 3 weeks ago and i fudged up and grabbed a lager yeast. pilsen lager wyeast to be exact and now the beer is kegged and has a very weird taste. a lot of yeast flavor... should i keep the keg at room temp to let it condition or is this beer already jacked?

What temperature was it fermented at? Did it finish (was it done)? I did something similar and the beer was not finished. The beer finished fermenting in the keg! As I grabbed the keg form storage I saw something on the post. It was caramelized sugars. I pulled the relief valve and WOW that beer was pressurized to the max. I was lucky that valve leaked or the keg might have blew? I normally don't do hydrometer tests because all my beers ferment completely (except this one)?

The beer was put in the dispensing fridge and it tasted murky and yeasty. I let it settle down a few weeks. I drew off the first pint or two to collect the trube from the keg fermentation. The beer cleaned up and was serviceable. So to make a long story short (to late) If the beer still is fermenting be careful and expect residue to collect. If it is done fermenting than time may clean it up? Good luck!

fermented at 68.... it seemed done. when i transfered to secondary it stopped bubbling a day later. i pulled the keg out of the fridge and i plan on letting it sit for a few weeks and ill try it again.

Hey you never know? This beer might turn out great? Give it time. Lager means "to store" so storing it for a time will work to clean it up. If you can stand the wait let it go for a month and see (taste) what happens?

I would only add that you should store it in a cool place like a basement or something or if you have room in your fridge. Lagering works best if it's done cold and most Lager yeast works best between 50 and 58 degrees the lower the better but the longer it will take to clean up. It will also slow down the yeast a bit if it was still working and help avoid a possable mess. I had a pilsner that wasn't quite done when I transfered it to bottles (to sweet) so I put them in a cool room in the basement for a few weeks and they turned out just fine. One of my best in fact. If it don't mellow out you can always do another batch and try blending the two to make it how you want it.

Back