• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My equiement setup, mash tun set up

beercheer4me

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am using a Snake keg for a mash tun,with a pi co screen which takes up appox 3 gallons of water to reach bottom of screen
so when  select a mashing profile for a light,medium,heavy style beer, how or where do i add back the 3 gallons
to dough in with , my mash would be to dry , i just want my numbers to match up with my setting for mashing keggle
and also i want to fly sparge continuous with adding some more water for mash out.
Also on my system is just been build Like the Brutis TEN with out the gas valves and PLC love controller.
Does any have a temp setting to mash in at cause when it calls for 168 it mashes in way to high for the last two times i have used it
Just trying to dail in mash temps for my unit, aslo I want to do two step mashing at 135 to 140 then go up to 154 to 158 for styles  

TIA  
John

The top line of the keg is approximately 11 gallons (44 quarts), that includes the three gallons below the false bottom. Hence the grain weight ratio would be what ever amount of grain you choose to 32 quarts (16 pounds grain is 2 quarts per pound) [a thin mash, but easy to work with] 18 pounds is more average    lb/1.75qt

I would assume your are using a pump to recirculate and direct heat.

Your first step would be an infusion (heat the water to just a few degrees above the target. If you heat your water to say a 140*F
and then mash in 18 pounds of grain your temperature would drop to probably 137*F

After it rest there you would just heat to your next step.

The Beer Smith Program has all this information in it

Getting real confusing here,
I have to add 3 gallons of water to the Mash tun to get it to the bottom of the PICO screen in the mashing kettle ,,then add 1.75 qt per 1lb of grain then recirculate though out the mash and/or just do a mash rest. I have Marsh pump to circulate the mash for fly sparging, and / or I can collect all the wort when done because I have a dip tube connected to the valve and the pump takes all the wort except about cup or less...
It as if it is doing a Decoction Mash with the Added 3 gallons of HL under the screen.
This is the only problem I am have with the BS software ,, its not the BS software

Just where to you put the added 3 gallons to get to the botton screen and then use it to mash with then it is not part of the mash , then add it back to total volume to the boil kettle , I really don't lost any of the sweet wort cause I empty out the 
Does the Equiement profile have a box for this , been over and over this many times ,, when i put recipes in the mash call for water that is not enough above the screen to mash in with
I am sure that with mash tun using keggle with screens should their be an input box for this for the take away water then added back in after mashing out

It is not really that hard after you think about it. Just consider the three gallons(beneath the false bottom) as an internal grant, which is not part of the mash.
You could just fill the water line to the level of the false bottom and use a recipe as normal.
You could write your own mash profile and add the three gallons to the initial infusion amount of the recipe you want to use, which is best because BS will then calculate the correct amount of additional sparge water to use since the wort amount in the grant is essentially sparge water when recirculating.

The temperature mash profiles in BS are for 5 gallon batches; for a 10 gallon batch, with your equipment, you only need to add 12 quarts to the doubled infusion amount. Whatever the recipe just add three gallons to the strike water amount (initial infusion).

The equipment profile would be similar to BrewTree-15 gallon brew system which is for temperature compensation and LOSS of wort.

The only adjustments you need to consider as for as the three gallons in the grant is that it has to be there and it NOT part of the mash :-
                                                  Your mash profile will always need to compensate for the grant   
                                                    volume

Decotion is totally different. Using a decotion method is to remove a determined amount of grist/wort heating it to scarification; resting it to convert; then boiling it to add back to the rest of the mash to raise the temperature to the desired degree.

MmmmBeer
BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer

[applaud] [smite]

Re: Water/grain ratio and water under false bottom
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:58:04 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, I just dealt with this issue as well and here's how i solved the problem. Leave you grain water ration as you normally brew. Measure the amount of water under the screen. Enter that value as a negative number in the Lauter Tun Dead Space and beer smith will adust correctly. This is found under your equipment setting. Worked wonders for my 25 gallon batches. There was 2.5 gallons under the screen which left my mash too dry and was having a great impact on my efficiency.

NO NEED TO REPLY
THANKS TO ALL INVOLED

Back