• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge Set-Up

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before but I did do a search and couldn't find my question.

I extract brewed for about 6-years. Just last week I tried AG for the first time and loved it. I then looked for brewing SW and seem to like BrewSmith best.

Now for my question: I use the batch-sparge method. I don't see a "BatchSparge" choice in the mash profile part of the recipe view. I have chosen "single infusion, no mash out." Is this the correct choice or do I need to add and edit my own profile?

Thanks,

Mike

I would use single infusion, I like to do a mash out.  You will be happy to know the new version coming out soon has batch sparging included.

Mike,
 The next version will have batch sparge as an option in the mash profile.  It will also come with a few mash profiles set up for batch sparging - you can just pick one of those and you should be set as long as your equipment settings are correct.

Look for the new version coming Wednesday the 27th!

Cheers!
Brad

Need a little help...Does the mash profile for a Single Infusion, Light Body,  contain 0 steps?  I have this 0 step and no description.  This is the same on my original backup copy.

No,
 The released version has either 1 or 2 steps depdending on whether you have the one with a mash-out or not.

The only difference between the light and medium body is the step temperature and time - so you could copy the medium body version over and edit it a bit.  The light body step temperature is 150F for 75 min, versus 154F step temp for 60 min on the medium body version.

Here's the specs for light body:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Single Infusion, Light Body
Baseline Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Weight: 0.00 lb
Tun Temperature: 72.0
PH: 5.4
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Batch Sparge: No

Mash Steps
Name               Description                         Step Temp     Step Time    
Mash In            Add 12.50 qt of water at 161.4 F    150.0 F       75 min        
Mash Out           Add 8.00 qt of water at 200.2 F     168.0 F       10 min        

Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND here's the one with NO MASH OUT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Baseline Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Weight: 0.00 lb
Tun Temperature: 72.0
PH: 5.4
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Batch Sparge: No

Mash Steps
Name               Description                         Step Temp     Step Time    
Mash In            Add 12.50 qt of water at 161.4 F    150.0 F       75 min        

Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!
Brad

Back