• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scottish Ale

S

Shakey_Dog

I am making a Scottish Ale tomorrow afternoon.  Here is the hop schedule:

1oz Golding at 60
1oz Golding at 15
23 IBU

Any thoughts on the IBU for a Scotch Ale.  23 is on the high end of the scale.

Don

Hops in scottish ale should be pretty low.  I recommend English types (East Kent Goldings is great).  They tend to be on the malty end of things.  In fact the 2004 style guide recommends 17 IBUs as the high end.  

Generally there is "low but perceptible" bitterness, but the dominant flavors are malty, caramel and chewy.

VR
Brad

I was going to use peated malt. 1lb (6% of the grist)  Some people are telling me that is way to much.  Everything I have read says it can make up as much as 20%.  6% is way lower than 20%  

Any Thoughts?

Don

I would probably err on the lower side, because peat and smoked malts do add a lot of flavor with just a little bit.

In addition, the peat is not a dominant flavor in a Scottish ale - it is more of a subtle flavor to make it more earthy.

Cheers!
Brad

Well I went with 1lb.  It tasted and smelled wonderful going into the fermenter so I think I have the right amount even though almost everybody was telling me that 1 lb was way to much.

Most people said no more than 1/4 of a lb.  All indications are that it is going to be great.

Don

May I ask what you ended up using for hops in this recipe and the schedule?

-Brian

Back