• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

off flavor

BTruesdell

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been brewing for a number of years. Recently I've noticed a "clove - like" flavor in some of my beers, in fact the last two batches. Any suggestions of what this could be?

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_faults.pdf

This list is a good resource when you're hunting for a cause. 

If this yeast is normally clean (low ester, low phenol) then perhaps it got outside its preferred temp range.  Strong clove from a non-Belgian yeast can approach Plastic/band-aid, which might indicate infection.

We found that German wheat yeast will do this especially the dry ones such as (SafeBrew06 and Danster's Munich 2909). The Belgium type yeast usually will have a tartness to them.

BTruesdell said:
I have been brewing for a number of years. Recently I've noticed a "clove - like" flavor in some of my beers, in fact the last two batches. Any suggestions of what this could be?

Could you post some more info?  What were your last two batches (yeast, grain, hops)?  Fermentation temps would be nice to know as well as fermentation vessel.

If you have incurred a "House Infection" try to rotate your sanitizers. Some "beasties" will morph into a new yeast if they overcome your favorite sanitizer.? We all become a little loose in our house keeping now and then. When I had a recurring "Flavor" in my beers I went berserk cleaning and sanitizing and my problem went away. I am still a slob but I just luck out most of the time?

Back