• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No Creamy Krausen?? Too much yeast?

magnethead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I like to make experimental batchs in 1 gallon demijohns... and then tip a different yeast into each one, I accidently poured 3/5 of a Whitelabs yeast(edit:Burton Ale yeast) bottle into this Demijohn...It took a very long time to get going 36hours and then a very thin, large bubbled head formed(See pics)...It looked unhealthy compared to the usual thick Krausen... I measured the gravity today and it was 1.011 so it did the job...That bottle of yeast is meant for a 5 gallon batch.. What can I expect from this Batch? been super-yeasted?  I'll report back later with a Taste test..I have faith in the brewing gods to deliver this one for me hehe

The head is very thin!!! Not thick and creamy
IMAG0640.jpg

Big Bubbles..Arggghhh
IMAG0639.jpg

Quick answer, no you did not pitch too much yeast.  Even if you pitched 2 vials into a 1 gallon batch you would still get a proper fermentation.  The flavor and aroma would change, but that's it.

So onto the big bubbles.  How did you clean the fermentation vessels?  Did you use common soap?  If you did how well did you rinse?  My first though upon seeing the bubbles made me think that you have soap residue in the fermenter.  Other than that I have no other explanation.  If it tastes fine then I would just mark it as an anomaly.  One last question, what type of yeast did you use?

Hi Guys,
I forgot to mention, The yeast is "Burton Ale yeast" by White Labs.... I used a Chlorine powder to clean the demijohns, I did fill them up twice and thought I had them properly rinsed.

I didn't notice any rainbow colours, but maybe that only happens with soap, not Chlorine?

I'll report back with with a taste test...I hope it turns out well, It's the first White labs Vial I ever used. Maybe I'll like yeasty tasting beer...

Hmm can I assume that this is some store bought brand?  Like Clorox?  If so, I would be a little leery about using chlorine powder as a cleaning agent for brewing equipment.  I especially won't use it on plastic, though glass should be fine with some healthy rinsing.  I would recommend being on the safe side and buy some cleaner and sanitizer from your local brew shop.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16016/102376/Cleaner_-_PBW_1_lb

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16022/102376/Star_San_-_8_oz

Even thou the Krausen looked crap originally, the FG was down to 1.010!! The yeast must have eventually got there. I reclaimed the yeast from the bottom of the primary and used the burton ale yeast again for another ale (See the left side Demijohn)...This time it was a vigorous fermentation and it overflowed the airlock!! I'm reclaiming yeast from now on :) The viability of the yeast I get from my local supplier must be useless, the best before date was only 3 months away!!
Maybe I should make starters from now on too haha, I just dumped the vile in the first time, I guess you can't always trust the yeast producer when he says the yeast vile will be good enough for 5 gallons!!

Is there some colour gauge brewers can get? to check viability? The new yeast(images below) was white as snow compared to the mud I threw in the brew at the start of this thread.

Day 1 --
DSCN1829.jpg

Day 2 --
DSCN1858.jpg

Nathan

magnethead said:
Even thou the Krausen looked crap originally, the FG was down to 1.010!! The yeast must have eventually got there. I reclaimed the yeast from the bottom of the primary and used the burton ale yeast again for another ale (See the left side Demijohn)...This time it was a vigorous fermentation and it overflowed the airlock!! I'm reclaiming yeast from now on :) The viability of the yeast I get from my local supplier must be useless, the best before date was only 3 months away!!
Maybe I should make starters from now on too haha, I just dumped the vile in the first time, I guess you can't always trust the yeast producer when he says the yeast vile will be good enough for 5 gallons!!

Is there some colour gauge brewers can get? to check viability? The new yeast(images below) was white as snow compared to the mud I threw in the brew at the start of this thread.

Nathan

There are two ways to check yeast viability.  1) With a microscope and some knowledge in microbiology.  2) Make a starter.  2 is the easiest and cheapest way.  Oh and invest in a stir plate.  You will be amazed at the difference in results you get from making a starter with a stir plate.

I just found out that White labs yeast can have a brownish colour to them even though they're new yeast because of some lipids and yeast stabilizers they put in the viles(That's what they say on the Q&A on their website)

The big bubbles from the Burton Ale are new to me, the dried yeasts I was using before, made thick creamy layers on top of my beer.

I'll look into the stir plate, I think my brother might have grabbed an old one from his Pharma lab :)

what sort of a mash or wort did you use? my opinion would be that were would a surprisingly low protein content in it, because protein is usually what forms such a thick matrix that the yeast would get caught in and form the krausen.  the other option would be a highly vigorous fermentation.  a high rate of carbon dioxide production would lead to each bubble being larger, which is consistent with inoculating your wort with more yeast than normal.  did fermentation last the time as in your previous attempts or was it shorter?

Back