• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg setup

R

Renegade

I have recently started brewing my own beer and am now looking for a small keg system (3-5 gallons) for my extra frig.  Could you guys advise me on what I need to get, and where I need to look for the least expensive setup?

Minimum requirements:  A corny keg, co2 tank, regulator, gas in QD, beer out QD, gas and beer lines and a picnic tap.

A better setup would include a shank and a faucet, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67135&item=3847914879&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

You can also pick up regulators pretty cheap on ebay, one like this would work but you may be able to find one cheaper if you look around:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11876&item=3848143861&rd=1

Of course you'll also find out quickly that one corny keg is not enough, you can pick them up for around $14 each and where you get them from depends mostly on where you live because shipping them across country can be expensive, let me know where you live and I'll let you know a good place that is fairly close so the shipping charges don't kill you.  Most placed that have the kegs also have the QD's as well.  You can pick up the gas and beer line at your local hardware store.

Word to the wise about Ebay, make sure the user you are buying from is verified, and you get insurance on the whole deal. Too many people on Ebay ripping people off, not shipping then closing the account only to open another account under another name. I think I would spend a little extra money and support a local supplier, rather than Ebay.

Personal opinion (?spelling) but be careful.

If you shop around, a complete system starts at around $165 with a 5 lb tank.  For $10-15 more you can get a 10lb tank which will last twice as long.

The cost to fill either tank is about the same.

Cheers!
Brad

Thank you very much for your responses so far.  I have checked you some stuff on ebay.  I do know a good deal about ebay as my wife buys and sells on there all of the time.  What i have found on ebay is that used items are going for very near that you could purchase brand new.  I keep figuring it and the cheapest I have been able to find a complete set is around $180 to $200.

St Patricks has some complete sets starting at $165.  I've personally had good luck with the equipment I've ordered from them:
  http://www.stpats.com/

Cheers!
Brad

You can get used kegs for $13 at www.Homebrewing.org
I would call the local welding supply store to check on a CO2 tank. They generally have the best price.  
The connectors can all be ordered from any of the  online homebrew shops.  Northern Brewer is where I get mine.
I got all my stuff for right around $100.

You can also try www.ebrew.com for kegs, they have a discount if you buy 4 or more.  It all depends on what they charge for shipping.  They also had a nice price on the the kegging setup.

You can get used kegs for $13 at www.Homebrewing.org

Hate to be the pessimist here, but I went to check on the prices and had a hard time to find the kegs in the first place, then had to give them all my information including credit card, BEFORE getting shipping cost (which I don't do). The kegs are cheap enough, but if it cost me $30 to ship, it's not a deal, I can drive to Austin and buy them for $34 rebuilt. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_40_69_376 $119 for 4 reconditioned kegs and free shipping for orders over $60

$120 for 4 reconditioned (new gaskets) kegs is a pretty good deal, or for $64 plus shipping ($17 to me in St. Louis) at www.hombrewing.org, you can get the 4 cornies and 4 gasket sets and do it yourself.  Last time I bought kegs I got 2 gasket sets with my 4 kegs and only had to use one of them, the other kegs where fine.  Take your pick $39 extra, or a little work.

Oh yeah, and I didn't have to give my credit card for a shipping quote (the actually just give you an estimate) or you can go to UPS put in the info and get your own shipping estimate.

I have done a good deal of business fro e-bay with NO problems.  I do investigate the seller's feedback very closely before bidding.  

Check out fromgrainstoglass (E-Bay Store).  He has had some really good deals on kegs and is really easy to deal with.

Dave

$94 for four kegs that's if I figured the box size correctly, four gasket kits ($3 each why not) shipping and waiting 4 days, or drive 50 minutes and $119 later four tested and rebuilt kegs. And I get to go to Bitter End in Austin and have a brew... or two.

Hate to be the pessimist here, but I went to check on the prices and had a hard time to find the kegs in the first place, then had to give them all my information including credit card, BEFORE getting shipping cost (which I don't do). The kegs are cheap enough, but if it cost me $30 to ship, it's not a deal, I can drive to Austin and buy them for $34 rebuilt. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_40_69_376 $119 for 4 reconditioned kegs and free shipping for orders over $60

That is the great thing about this place.  Shipping is $5 per keg here in Iowa.  May be a little more where you are at, but the shipping at homebrewing.org is cheap.

Thank you all very much. I will be looking into all that you have listed here.

Back