• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparging, O2 and this forum

MikeinWA

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I really am digging this forum.  I have brewed the same way for so long it was hard to change the way I do things but I have enjoyed some great ideas. Two things I have changed and have noticed a big difference.

Batch sparging.  Love it.  Recommend it.  I used to drip sparge and it took forever and my effeciency was all over the charts.  I switched to batch sparging and haven't been below 80% since.

I also went to a major hardware store and picked up an O2 bottle, spigot(for lack of a better term) and hosing.  All under $15.  I had the stainless air stone. I run the O2 about 10 seconds.  I have noticed my lag time in the yeast dropping drastically as well as an increase in my attenuation.  My FG is always below the estimated FG.  The fermentation is quicker as well....obviously.

So...Thanks!

MikeinWA said:
I also went to a major hardware store and picked up an O2 bottle, spigot(for lack of a better term) and hosing.  All under $15.  I had the stainless air stone. I run the O2 about 10 seconds.   I have noticed my lag time in the yeast dropping drastically as well as an increase in my attenuation.  My FG is always below the estimated FG.  The fermentation is quicker as well....obviously.

+1 on O2.  I am still using the first bottle of O2 I bought for the regulator I won in March 2008.  Usually 25 seconds per batch.  So the gas tanks are economical enough. 

Back