• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

EZ Water Version1 vs. Version 2

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've become a real fan of the easy water calculator.  I've been using the version that matches water chemistry to the SRM of the beer.  It looks like the newest version of the calculator got rid of this tool and added a tool that estimates the mash Ph in its place. 

I'm wondering why?  Not that anyone knows what was in the mind of the calculator's creator (unless he posts here?) but I'm wondering if this is a better more useful tool if you have the right knowledge?  I've been going back and forth between the two version and it just seems like matching the water to the SRM of the beer makes more intuitive sense to me.  For example, I was making a Mai Bock not that long ago and I used the SRM feature to focus my water.  I'm not sure I would have been able to really narrow down my target profile with the newest version. 

Anybody who has compared the two have any thoughts on the differences between the two? 

Perhaps author thought SRM was too variable?  I have had a few beers with D2 syrup in them and had to remember to zero out the syrup to get the "mashed SRM" without the influence of the dark syrup. 

But pH seems equally subjective, based on the grains used, water volumes, etc.

Back