• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

used kegs

econolinevan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have finally found a used 15.5 gallon keg.  I'm planning on converting it into a boiler.  When I got it home i was curious on what the metal makeup was.  I put a magnet on it and found it doesn't want to stick to it anywhere except mid way down on the side of keg.  I thought these were made of stainless steel.  I just checked my ss 9 gallon boiler and it does not allow magnet to stick, my ss spoon does.  Am I missing something?  ???

If it is a new keg, it will be stainless. Old kegs were aluminum. But nearly everything produced today is SS.

There are different grades of Stainless.  Some are magnetic others are not.  Like the previous post said older kegs were aluminum (most have a side bung hole), the newer ones are SS.  If you still have doubts try to drill a small hole in the handle of the keg.  Aluminum will drill easy the stainless steel handle will hardly scratch.

The keg is from Lang Creek Brewery,"the most remote brewery" in Marion Mt. which operated from 1993 to 2009.  I'm thinking recent enough to be stainless. No bung on side.  And I did find a small area on keg which the magnet did stick to.  Thanks for info.

If I were to find a place on the keg where a magnet stuck, may be a good place for drilling if it's in a decent location.  Worth a try.

Back