• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partial Mash vs. Steeping

lailfamily

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to homebrewing and have used recipes from the local brewshop which often use extract plus steeping of specialty grains.  When I use a recipe from Brewsmith it seems I can only use extract or all-grain.  If I choose partial mash, it assumes I'll be using all grain methods -- lauter tun, etc.  Am I missing something on recipe conversions?

Hi,
  Technically steeping the grains is still an "extract" method.  When you move to mashing the grains and then mixing in extract it is called "partial mash" and obviously if you use all grain with mashing it is an "all grain" method.

So if you just want to steep your grains, select "Extract" as your recipe type and then add the grains you want to steep.

Brad

Thanks Brad.  I did exactly that on my last brew, using the Burton Ale recipe and ended up with my first ever undrinkable brew.  It was so bad that I couldn't even call it "brew of last resort"! It was closer to a dry champagne or hard cider than a beer.

Back