• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wort Aeration with Oxygen (O2)

dharalson

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am looking at aerating the wort with oxygen before fermentation.  I found O2 at the hardware store in the welding / propane soldering section.  I am assuming the this O2 is pure enough for the yeast.  My question is how to get it out of the bottle.  The screw top appears to be the same size as my propane torch nozzle; can I use that and connect tubes through the filter and into the stone.  Or do I need a different regulator of sorts.

How is everyone else doing this?

David

Yes, the disposable O2 tanks fit the propane torch nozzle.  I bought a tank and a new cheap nozzle. Unscrew the end and put a 3/8 inside diameter piece of food grade hose and then put a 1/4 in inside diameter inside the 3/8 ID hose.  I then attatched a stainless steel  oxygenation stone to the end. 

I think Northern Brewer has the bubbler or stone or whatever you call it for around $20.  It's also great for carbonating kegs quickly.

I have to say that with the O2 my lag time is about 4 hours and the beers finish quicker.  I love it and would recommend it to everyone.

Thank you both.  That is all the confirmation I need.

Looking forward to the next Brew day !

Back