• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

location of files on Windows 7

jfulton

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I want to back up BeerSmith recipes and other custom files using Windows 7 built in backup and restore function.  Where are the recipe.bsm and other files that are modified by the user stored? 

I was finally able to find them in" C:\Users\jfulton\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\BeerSmith"

i run this app as "administrator" by altering the shortcut so it saves everything (including the software updates) to the default path.  until the app becomes UAC-aware for program bits versus preferences this is what i will do.

Sorry

The files are supposed to be in the C:\Program\Files\BeerSmith directory but Windows Vista and Windows 7 move them to the "virtual store" if you are not an administrator.

In version 2.0 I've separated all of the data so it will now reside in your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory for much easier backup.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Sorry

The files are supposed to be in the C:\Program\Files\BeerSmith directory but Windows Vista and Windows 7 move them to the "virtual store" if you are not an administrator.

In version 2.0 I've separated all of the data so it will now reside in your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory for much easier backup.

Brad

Okay, this brings up a question . . .

I have my copy of BeerSmith installed on a flash drive. I love being able to pull up BeerSmith and work on recipes during a break at work, or pull up my stuff when I'm at my beer-brewing buddy's house to compare notes, etc. Will I still be able to do this with version 2?

Scott

Sounds like a request to let the user decide where the files get installed to...  I like it, defaulting of course to the "normal" locations.

Now that I know where to look for the "real" recipe file I was able to retrieve my old recipes.  I must have an old recipe file leftover from when I backed up prior to going from Vista32 back to XP.  Is there any way to merge them?

If you have both files, you can use the Import and Merge command from the My Recipes view to merge files.

Brad

I second the request to be able to choose where to store BeerSmith data.  I'd like to be able to save it all to a common location (like a mapped network drive) so that I can access up-to-date inventory and recipes from any of my computers.  The laptop I use for brewing stays out in the garage, but I do most of my recipe formulation on a computer in the house.  Allowing storage on a server also makes it easier to back up, since data stored on the server is backed up nightly.

Still getting used to version 2, but I'm really happy with it.  Great job!

Update:  Never mind.  I found the option in the File menu.  Thanks!

Back