• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter

gasassorcash

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I made a 1 qt yeast starter close to 48 hours ago with white labs kolsh yeast. Starter consisted vof 4 cups water and half cup of DME along with fresh yeast vial. I've always just added the entire starter to the fermenter w the wort. My question is am I doing this the right way. I did bby the way bring this to a boil and coil before the yeast addition.

Until you get an answer from somebody who knows their stuff about yeast; let me shoot from the hip here. If you don't mind, I will cover some important factors that you did not include.
Temperature is critical. Make sure the starter is the same temperature as the wort when they mix. Don't shock the yeast while trying to equalize this before you pitch. Do it gradually. Match the temp that the yeast company says. Oxygen is also important. Make sure the wort is aerated good.
The starter, as is, will add some volume to your fermenter. I generally don't sweat that. Some folks put the starter in the fridge or let it sit so the yeast falls and flocculates to the bottom. Then decant the wort off, leaving most of the starter behind. Then slowly adjust the temperature to fermentation temp and pitch. I intend to do this in the future but have been rushing the process with fine results.
A basic starter is better than nothing, but you want to consider the gravity of your wort when deciding the size of your starter. Other factors that affect the actual yeast count are the volume of your starter, the temperature it sat at, and weather or not you let it sit,  or if it was occasionally shaken or put on a stir plate.
To cut through my rambling, visit Mr. Malty and use the "Rate Pitch Calculator". http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Your beer is gonna be good. Read "Yeast", by White & Zainasheff to know everything you need.

Thanks for the help. It's the decanting that I was unsure of. I just threw the entire starter in this time, both at the same temp. The yeast book looks like a great guide , I appreciate the advice.

Yep, Since most of my beers are on the heavt side and my starter is usually from the same type wort, I toss the whole thing in because I figure "what's another liter or two". Eventually I think it may be better to decant.

Back