• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewing smaller batches

shane

Master Brewer
Reaction score
  I just lost my first two batches of brew. They were my 64th and 65th brew. With all the hoopla between all-grain and extract brewing I decided to put this to a test. I brewed a honey nut ale with 4 lbs of maris otter as my base grain, and one using 3.3 lbs of light lme. All went well on brew day, then I reracked both 5 days later into 5 gallon carboys. Put them away for 3 weeks for bottling. When I opened the all-grain I noticed a white film on top, carefully reracked and got vinegar smell. A sample taste confirmed. Then I checked the  extract batch and got the same.I was looking forward to the test and will try another,but I figured I'd try you guys first.

Did you have a 2-1/2 gallon headspace above your brew?
If so, did you purge the headspace with CO2?

Yes I did, and no I didn't. After rerack I thought the co2 would push the O out. Guess that was my problem.

thanx

I haven't been brewing for very long, but I learned from years of wine making that too much O2 can quickly ruin an otherwise good batch.

Though I still make plenty of mistakes, that is one thing I am pretty careful about.  I always have a tank of CO2 in my brew room, and purge the head space whenever the secondary or any carboy is opened.

They say you learn from your mistakes.
I should be a LOT smarter by now!

Requiem for a brown nut ale.

You know I have a couple of 3 gallon carboys and didn't even think of it.

Lesson learned. Purge Purge Purge

I went through a spell where I lost six of eight consecutive batches. Almost quit the hobby.

Since then I'm all about glass. No plastic fermenting vessels for me.

It's worked so far.

Back