• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about equipment profiles/boil off

kpot2004

New Forum Member
Reaction score
First post here  :) I am a fairly new all-grain brewer with around 4 batches brewed so far.

My all-grain setup right now consists of a 48qt Coleman cooler mash tun and a 8 gallon kettle.  One of the equipment profiles in BeerSmith is a 7.5 gallon kettle and 48 qt cooler.  Using this it shows a boil volume 6.41 gallons.  I have had good results with this and always end up with right around 5 gallons of wort.  I recently purchased a 5 gallon Igloo cooler with a false bottom which is another one of the equipment profiles in BeerSmith.  Switching my recipes over to this new equipment its showing 6.0 gallons boil volume, maybe I am missing something but why would my pre-boil volume now be .41 gallons less just by using a new mash tun?  My boil off rate shouldn't be any different.

This is only speculation, but I think they expect your loss on lautering to be less in a cylindrical vessel with a false bottom than in a rectangular vessel with some kind of manifold collection system.  Therefore, you need less water to start.

Back