• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Longer in secondary fermenter?

The Drizzle

Apprentice
Reaction score
typically i do 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary then bottling. would my beer benefit from a longer stint in secondary, like say a week longer? or should i keep the time in the fermenters the same and let the beer condition in the bottles for 2-3 weeks? thank you for any help.

This could be the start of a long thread since there are so many different opinions. Here's my 2 cents:

More time in the primary (and possibly no secondary at all) for most beers may give the best results. I base that by what Chris White & Jamil Zainasheff has said in interviews and their new book "Yeast" --also, my own experience seems to be showing this to be true.  
Current example: I have a horrible tasting Weizen that is improving daily as it continues to sit in the primary letting the yeast clean it up.

It also has to do with individual fermenting conditions.  I oxygenate my beer, add yeast nutrients and keep my beer at 72 F so the lower alc beers ferment quickly.  It's about 5-7 days for the primary, 5-7 for the secondary.

My heavy beers can go a few weeks in primary and up to a month in secondary.

I truly recommend reading the Chris White book on Yeast.  I have only found the time to read  a bit and it has been very helpful.

My 2 cents

I leave all beers in the primary for about 3 weeks. I no longer use a secondary unless it is for something special? I also dry hop in the primary as long as I am not going to reuse the yeast cake. I may reuse the dry hopped yeast cake for some Big IPA? Anyway I used to basically used the one week in the primary, two week in the secondary and three week in the bottle method. (1-2-3) The primary soak? cleans up a beer and infers no taste problems. The secondary has it's place but for me it is used rarely.

Hey Bob,

I assume you are using 6 1/2 glass carboy. I have 10 5 gallon glass ones. Bummer.

myself I generally do 21 days primary 21 or longer in secondary

I pretty much always do 7 days primary, 7 days secondary, and a minimum of 3 weeks bottle condition. I always add gelatin to the secondary about 3-4 days before bottling for clarification (I don't do irish moss in the kettle) and the gelatin works great! I'm originally a wine maker of 10 years and then crossed-over to brewing so I have a hard time accepting a long primary with the beer sitting on a bed of dead yeast, because in winemaking that is considered undesirable. I will have to read the book about yeast and see if I cahnge my thoughts, until then I'm happy with my results. Cheers!

Ok, secondary can be as long as you need to.  I generally use just a primary unless I am brewing a high gravity beer like a Belgian Tripel or a Russian Imperial Stout.  Those can be in a secondary for a year or more and taste great.  For regular beers like an Amber ale, I just use a primary for 3 to 4 weeks and then bottle condition.  I generally go by the philosophy that "The best beer of any batch is the last one you open."

Cheer

Back