• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding honey and Preboil Graveity affects

max42

Brewer
Reaction score
I noticed an anomaly that I wanted to post.  If I'm doing something wrong please explain.  I was working a recipe which included Honey.  I had planned to add it at flameout.  I could not find a way to set a time, but since it was at the end I didn't think much more about it. 
I noticed on the preview of the brewsheet that it had the Honey listed as going into fermenter.  Of note the brewsheet listed my preboil gravity as 1.035.

Later I double clicked the Honey in my ingredients list and noticed a checkbox to add it to the boil, so I though this sounded better and checked it.  One downside is that it now assumes I would add the honey at 60 minutes and could not change the time.  Of note the brewsheet now listed my preboil gravity was 1.041 after I did this change. 

I do not understand why the preboil gravity would change when nothing new was added.  The honey was not in the kettle as yet.

Does anyone know why this anomaly occurs?

I think that preboil gravity is assumed to be taken with everything that goes in the kettle in just before you turn on the flame so it considers the honey included when you take the preboil gravity.

You can add the honey as you did to your recipe and then double click on it in the list of ingriedients. Click on the drop down menu for type and change it from sugar to extract. You now have the option at the bottom of the window to set boil time.

Thanks.  Not sure what to say.  This still does not make sense to me as you don't make additions until the boil, so any additions have to be after the boil started, not "pre", at least my logic/understanding. 

I tried your suggestion to change the honey from sugar to extract. But the option at the bottom of the window is in the section for Equivalent Hops in Extract. This section is used only for hopped extracts, allows you to insert the "equivalent" hops that is included in the extract.  This "equivalent" is used to calculate the bitterness contribution of the extract.  For kicks I changed the boil time and the Preview BrewSheet still had the honey at 60 min (start of boil) and pre boil gravity still changed from .035 to .040.

Back