• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

33% Water loss from reduction?

cheffriz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Did Hefe today and when i was done i had to run out and buy another gallon of water to bring it up to the 5 gallon mark. Usually this does not happen and I have enough with 6 gallons, I bought an extra gallon sense I increased the boil time to 90 minutes from 60. However this still seems excessive. It did start to rain at the end of the boil. Could barometric pressure have effect on loss to evaporation.

In my experience it depends on how vigarous a boil you have.  More heat, the hotter it gets and the more you'll boil off.  Try lowering the heat till you get a nice rolling boil and not a super turbulant one and you'll see a difference in loss from reduction.

Richie

measure, measure, measure....  You can't guess at the boil-off rate.  Well, you can but as you see, it is not always so accurate.  I measured my kettle with 1, two and three gallons of water.  I simply measure from the water line to the top.  With two measurements, I be reasonable sure the the difference between 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are the same. So, maybe it is 1" per gallon and at 6 gallons, I am 12" from the top of the kettle.  Now I can measure (and do measure) every 15 minute and know my boiloff rate.  You can adjust the boil up or down, know the final volume and won't have to run out for that extra gallon so often. 

Back