• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding honey to primary

snagglegraspt

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I would like to add honey to my pale ale and was wondering if I could add it at primary ferm. rather than during the boil as it seems to me that the honey would impart a more delicate flavor if not boiled?

Yes it will however I would pasturize it a bit by holding at 180 DF for 20 minutes, chilling it to the same temps as you primary or secondary and and add it then.  If you add it at the primary it would help if you waited till your beer reached High Krausen.  The yeast are really active and have grown a lot by then and would be able to handle that honey you plan tom use with no problems.

Richie

pasturize it a bit by holding at 180 DF for 20 minutes
+1 add it after high krusaen that will help it retain its flavor I also use it for priming

For next time, you can add honey to the boiler after flameout, while it is cooling to accomplish the pasteurization while also getting the fermentation done at the same time.  The yeast progress from simple to more complex sugars, so adding honey after they've done malt sugars for a week may throw they a curve. 

snagglegraspt said:
I would like to add honey to my pale ale and was wondering if I could add it at primary ferm. rather than during the boil as it seems to me that the honey would impart a more delicate flavor if not boiled?
Well, I added the 5 lbs of clover honey at the beginning of primary @ about 170 degrees F.
It should be ready by my birthday in June.

Back