• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

worried...

MikeinWA

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I had a buddy who wanted a lighter IPA.  One " I can have 3 of and not fall on my ass" so we made a ten gal batch.  It was in Primary for 6 days before I transferred it.  The OG was .056 and the final should be at .014.  When I transferred it was at .016.  Which was fine as the secondary would finish the beer.  It always does for me.

So, I have two 5 gal carboys that are almost finished with little yeast activity.  I added 1 oz to each of sealed pellet hops like I do on every IPA without a problem.

I was reading the Yeast book and it says how many beer makers keep their yeast in suspension by shaking the containers.  Since I am using a wyeast british ale that flocculates well I thought shaking would help keep the yeast in suspension and aid in getting to my target FG.  Since I have been shaking the beer after I added the hops the carbys have been bubbling away like they were in the primary.  3 days of bubbles every 5 to 6 sec.

I have never in my 10 years brewing had a tainted batch of beer.  I have also never had such a vigerous fermentation in a secondary.

I should take a sample but .... I'm afraid :eek:  I just can't imagine this beer is not gonna taste like ass. :-\

It

No you should be fine still a lot of activity can happen in 2ndary even if you dont shake it up and unless your seeing moldy type funk on the top i wouldnt think contamination just further fermentation .

RHAHB

That's what I am thinking but it's an awful lot of activity to drop even .005.  Just typical flocculation stuff on top and bottom.  I have made over a hundred batches and this is the first to do this.

Mmmm Moldy @$$ beer. What kind of label do I make for that?!

well, I decided to test the beer and it dropped to .010. It tastes good and the bubbling is still every 25 sec.  I have never had such yeast activity for so long.

Hows it taste ? I think your fine just wait a week more see how it is then . If anything it isn't going to hurt it ...

It tastes great.  I am truly perplexed by the length of yeast activity.  Seems to go against what I have been reading in the yeast book. but.... if it works.

it is a living organism we can't always predict it ... bet its going to be great bro

Maybe it is just the CO2 coming out of suspension?

I also tend to think it's CO2 coming out of suspension and not additional fermentation.  However you said the hydrometer keeps dropping so that dispells that.

Let us know how this turns out.

Cheers,

Richie

I couldn't wait any longer.  Bubbles stopped and the FG was .010  I do prefer the west coast dry hoppy IPA vs the malty East coast style.  This beer is great.  Thanks for the reassurance.  It still perplexes me on how long this beer took and how much yeast activity there was.

Back