• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

grain storage

MikeinWA

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Well, I have been kicking the idea of just buying the large bags of 2 row instead of purchasing what I need at the beer store.  How do you all store your grain and how long will it last in those storage containers?

Also, I am curious to what everyone pays for their grain.  Aren't they 45lb bags?  Do you get them mail order or from your local store?

The bags I get are 55lbs. about 60.00...... What I do is try to plan out a few brews that will use up the grain within 6mths. or so. It holds just fine in a cool dark dry location for up to a year. Be sure to check out the exp. date....

According to the folks at Briess, you can safely store malted barley for years.  Your biggest battle is with humidity.  The grains will absorb and absorb then eventually mold. 

I keep mine in a white, food grade 32 gallon container (looks like a white garbage can but I am not saying I put my grain in a garbage can.  I love them too much).  If you are in a humid area, I good, thick moisture barrier like large plastic refuse containment vessels (not saying "garbage bags" either) are a good idea.  I live in San Jose, CA where our humidity is low and I brew often enough to not need plastic bags. 

I always buy in bulk.  My domestic two row is about .65/lb and golden promise 1.14/lb. 

I was planning to buy grain in the bulk bags and store it in vacuum sealed bags - 10 lbs to the bag so I use a full bag each time I brew.

I store mine in the infamous Home Depot buckets.  I've been meaning to upgrade but haven't made it a priority.

I buy bags of 2-row in the Portland, OR area for 30 bucks.

Nice idea, Dave.  

Do I live in a humid area ::) Yep! We Washingtonians get our water by osmosis!

What about some of those food safe water absorbing packets?

MikeinWA said:
Nice idea, Dave.  

Do I live in a humid area ::) Yep! We Washingtonians get our water by osmosis!

What about some of those food safe water absorbing packets?

Dude, as much as you brew I can't imagine water collecting in your grains!  I think using a food sealer and those thick bags would keep the moisture out just fine for the time it would be in there.  food grade silica or whatever it is packets would not hurt.  You could simply get the regular stuff in bulk, place all you bags in a sealed container (keeps critters out) and have the silica gel in there too and not need the food grade stuff. 

I keep an old PBW container, the $20 size, full of silica gel packets in my chest freezer with my kegs.  That keeps the moisture down and the mold from growing.  I put these under my burners on brew day to dry them out.  This would work well in amongst your grains too.

Mike, I get my grains from seven bridge coop out of santa cruz.  They are all organic and you get some pretty good discounts from time to time.  I think they have some now.  Even on shipping. 
I live on the east side of the mountains from you and humidity isn't a big concern.  I store mine in a large sealable bag I can hook a vacuum up to suck out all the air and then I put it in a plastic tote.  Something air tight would be best.  My tote isn't but my bags are and they can hold the fiftyfive pound sack +.  I have been slacking on my brewing lately, but my grains stay fresh, as long as I keep them as above and in a cool place.

Back