• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg over carbonated

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My Schwartzbier is over carbonated.  I've got all 4 kegs on 1 manifold so they are all at the same serving pressure.  However, when I force carbonated this one beer, I think it got too much.  Shouldn't it have equalized with the others at the serving pressure by now?  How can I get carbonation out of a kegged beer and still keep it on the system?

I've thought about this since yesterday and can't think of any other way but time if you're restircted to keeping it on the system.  Eventually, the pressure will equalize (don't know how long you have waited so far).  If the keg is full, giving it some extra headspace by drawing off a few pints might help.

If it can be disconnected, pulling it out of refrigeration and letting it warm up (with a pull or two on your relief valve)would be the fastest way to decarbonate it.

It's been about 3 weeks.  Maybe warming up outside the cooler would help, but I've got a tight fit and it would be a pain.  Maybe I just deal with it.  Fill a big mug, let it settle...

Fill a gallon pitcher and let it settle
or disconnect the in-line and shake it, wait, use release valve, shake, wait, release, etc.
The pitcher sounds easiest until this keg kicks.

I don't keg, so excuse my stupidity here, but could you not take it off-line, and bleed it occasionally, until it was "OK" to put back online for serving pressure only? 

This must happen frequently, when people apply 20# pressure and roll it around the floor, to expedite pressurization, only to realize they went too far? 

Being a bottler, I thought the attraction to kegging was (partially) being able to manage the CO2 during the life of the beer.  Certainly, the speed of carbonation is a big advantage over bottling, but if you can't adjust a minor over-pressurization, then that would seem a big disadvantage. 

MaltLicker said:
I don't keg, so excuse my stupidity here, but could you not take it off-line, and bleed it occasionally, until it was "OK" to put back online for serving pressure only? 

This must happen frequently, when people apply 20# pressure and roll it around the floor, to expedite pressurization, only to realize they went too far? 

Being a bottler, I thought the attraction to kegging was (partially) being able to manage the CO2 during the life of the beer.  Certainly, the speed of carbonation is a big advantage over bottling, but if you can't adjust a minor over-pressurization, then that would seem a big disadvantage.

Maltlicker you are correct! This is exactly what you do and it works wonderfully!

It will equalize eventually, but if it's kept under pressure it will take a long time to do so.

You could-

1.  Use a carbonation calculator to determine what pressure the keg should be at based on temp and desired volumes of carbonation.

2.  Hook up a spunding valve.

3.  Set the desired pressure on the Spunding valve.

4.  Shake the keg until it's not releasing pressure.

and then whammo... It's at the perfect carbonation level!

Back