• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun / Beer Smith Question

Putrkaos

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I currently use an 10 gal Igloo mash tun, modified as follows. Installed a kettle valve with a 1/2 in fip pipe fitting, Installed (flying) sprague arm through lid, I have also made a false bottom from stainless steel (1 gal of liquid under false bottom) Installed temperature gauge about mid way up in tun ( about a 1/2 inch to high when doing a 5 gallon batch). I've been brewing for just over a year. I'm about 12-15 batches in to all grain brewing. During mash I have noticed that temperature varies a great deal based on where you measure temperature within the tun, wife says I'm a little retentive about things but here is my solution to the problem and a minor problem that I've created in the process. I route the wort from  the bottom of the mash tun through a heat exchanger and sprague it back into the top of the mash. The other side of the heat exchanger is hooked through a pot of boiling water when the pumps are running I can quickly and accurately raise the temperature (and clean and sterilize the heat exchanger) of my mash. I get very clean wort out at the end of mash. Now for my first question. What would be the best way to calculate the water to add to the mash tun and how much sparge water would you use? I am about 82% efficiency without sparging. Second question how would you enter the profile in beer smith it dosent quite fit a mash style as I understand it? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

On Tap:

English Bitter Ale
Waterloo Creek Red Ale
Apple Suicider
Wife Beater Lager (Stella Artois Clone that didnt)
OB Special (aka orange blossom honey ale)
Cream Soda

Secondary:
Virgin Cider

Primary:
Rasberry Lambic
Cherry Lambic

If you are using Beersmith and you have chosen a recipe form the sample recipes or on line catalogue of recipes then it should tell you how much water you need for strike water and for sparging.  Use the "Preview Brewsheet" button to get a step by step set of instructions.  You can also make up your own recipe and create your own beer style and mash profile by using the "Insert" drop down menu.

Back