• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew Smith Newbie - Lauter Tun Dead Space

Paul M

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been brewing for almost 20 years but am new to Brew Smith. When setting up my equipment profile I've set it up to show 2.75 gal dead space for my Lauter tun. I use a 1/2 barrel as my lauter tun which has a false bottom set up with a copper screen  (Pico Brew system). I've always used the ratio of 1 quart of water per pound of grain. With Brew Smith when it calculates this correctly but it does not add in my dead space. Example - if I have a 20lb grain bill it tells me to add only 5 gallons of water when I'm thinking it should also be telling me to add the 2.75 gallons of dead space. Also, this liquid is technically not lost as when I sparge all of the dead space liquid technically ends up in my boil kettle. What am I missing here?

Also, if I want to change my water / grain ratio where do I do this in Brew Smith?

Thanks!

I have the same equiement,,,,, pico screen, what I do is add the 2.75 ,,, mine system is 3 gallons, any rate,, I bring the water up to screen, then add ratio water, then heat mash water to calculated ,, I  fooled with beer smith on this and gave up, add do it this way.

Beecheer4me, thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying. Question, when you do what you described below doesn't the extra volume of water result in temperatures that exceed your desired mast temperature on a single infusion mmash? I have been recording this information for years before using Beer Smith and I'm using temperatures lower than what beer smith is saying to use and I figure that the much higher volume of actual water reduced the temperature less with our set up.

It's good to hear of others out there with the Pico System. After of 18 years of using this system I'm now in the process of adding herms, a stand, upgraded burner the whole 9 yards. I think all of this will just mainly to precisley control my mash temperature and less dinking around moving pumps etc.

Hope to hear back from you,
Paul

I used the cal. Temps on beer smith, 
Be sure to click on pre heated mash tun volumes, I found that beer smith was to hot for my mash temp
Until I found the preheaded options,,,, then it's dead on so far,,, one thing about the pumps, leave them on thur out the brew,    just use valving you will se e,,,,,
I would like to see beersmith, added options, to added dead space to soft ware,,,,
Later john
Texting on phone sorry for mistakes, on vacation

John, if not too much trouble where in Beer Smith is "pre heated mash tun volumes"?
Thanks,
Paul

well I thought it was in there,,, just make sure you pre up heat mash tun.  I will look again,  chime in anyone for help,,,,, and add the 2.75 , you do have the down tube on your keggles right you will get it back when you transfer to boil kettle volumes  , I am working BSmith right now for an irish red

Back