• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DME Stash

DaveinPa

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
While brewing an APA today with an all grain recipe, I got to thinking about efficiency and what to do if you screw up and get a poor efficiency.  It occurred to me that if I had some DME on hand I could use it to make up for whatever mistake I might have made.  Anybody ever try this?

Fortunately, this batch looks text book - gravity after extraction was 1.050 and it smell great  ;D.

Yea.  Lots of folks add dme to bump up the gravity a bit.  I prefer to just accept the beer for what it is and maybe i will like it more.

Yep! I keep DME on hand for yeast starters and if my mash comes out "unexpectedly low".
But when it came time to actually use it on a "low gravity mistake"; I did not add any and just let it ferment as is. We had a very tasty, low alcohol, session beer that was not a disappointment.

... Yes, then there are those brew days when the numbers come out fine but my brew buddy wants to "bump up" the gravity even more :p.

After how much I just paid for 3 lbs of DME just to have around for these very reasons I am ready to not buy it again.  I went to the "expensive" beer supply store just because I was in the area and paid 13$ for 3 lbs. :eek:

No kidding.  I was looking hard at the extra wort I was tossing out on Friday. 

I need to figure out an easy way to save it and 'can' it on brew day.  Free beats $4 per lb every time.

Back