• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is your technique on dry hopping

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I dry hop quite a bit and was wondering what others do.  I hear alot of people not using a secondary, and I would like to skip the step of transfering to a secondary if possible.  What do you do.  Wait a couple weeks for fermentation, and then drop in the hops right in the primary?  And if so, do you use a nylon bag to keep the hops semiment out or do you just dump the hops directly in.
Thanks,
Dan

I dry in the primary, secondary and in the keg.

In the primary, usually about day 4 when fermentation is winding down with pellets hops.  When the yeast floculate they take most of the hops down into the dregs.

I use whole hops only in the secondary for an added punch when called for.

Hops added to the keg can be added for a final sucker-punch of hop flavor and aroma.

Good luck!

Typically after 6 or 7 days fermenting, I toss in some pellets and leave them there for another 6 or 7.  I cover the end of my siphon tube with sanitized womens (are there mens? are they all unisex?) knee high nylons or two hop sacks to filter into the keg. 

I have always dry hopped in the secondary, not for any other reason than that's what I've always done. With pellets I just drop em in about a week before kegging/bottling. Having said this I will Lager my beer (ale or lager) a day prior to bottling in all cases to clear the beer.
  I also have been using whole hops. I will put them in a muslin bag and twist the bag tight and "screw" it into the bottle. Untwist before dropping the bag. Leave the bag in when I rack into bottle or keg. To get them out of carboy I turn upside down, grab a piece of the bag and cut with scissors. Turn back over and fill with a bit of water, shake the carboy and the hops come out of the bag, then empty. Of course during all this I find time to have a homebrew.

Has anyone ever had their beer get a bacterial infection from dry hopping?  I would think the acid levels in hops would give them some antibacterial characteristics but I don't recall ever seeing anything published on it.

shane said:
   I also have been using whole hops. I will put them in a muslin bag and twist the bag tight and "screw" it into the bottle. Untwist before dropping the bag. Leave the bag in when I rack into bottle or keg. To get them out of carboy I turn upside down, grab a piece of the bag and cut with scissors. Turn back over and fill with a bit of water, shake the carboy and the hops come out of the bag, then empty. Of course during all this I find time to have a homebrew.
This is why I dry hop in the keg. The opening is a bit bigger.

DaveinPa
I don't think dry hopping would cause concern for infection because hops has astringent qualities that kill bacteria. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is why they started putting hops in beer in the first place. To help preserve the beer.

Yep I just looked it up. It is published in "Beer Tap into the Art and Science of Brewing" By Charles Bamforth

That's what I figured but its good to have a reference source to verify it.  Thanks for that.

Back