• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Finishing Gravities too High using Recipe for Brewing Classic Styles

seander77

Apprentice
Reaction score
I was targeting the Saison recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and I have entered the recipe directly from the All-Grain notes in the book.  Beersmith is giving me a Finishing Gravity of 1.013 instead of the 1.009 listed in the book. 

I am curious to know what folks think I am doing wrong.  I am fairly sure I have transcribed the recipe correctly and am assuming I have some setting mixed up in Beersmith.

I appreciate any thoughts you have.

The final gravity is simply an estimate based on the original gravity estimate for the recipe and the average attenuation of the yeast you picked.  However, it can be off from your actual measured number as a number of other factors also come into play including mash temperatures selected, fermentation temperature, etc... these all affect the "real world" final gravity.

Brad

Back