• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is it too late?

DaveinPa

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I just racked the APA I made last week and I think its got the bitter down great but I think it could do with a liitle more hops aroma/flavor.  As long as its sitting in the secondary, can it be dry hopped any time up to kegging?

Dry hop in the secondary or keg or both. For keg dry hop, I use whole hops, muslin hop bags, some people use women's knee high stockings to contain hop particles. Of course there is no real need to secondary if you are dry hopping in the keg.

Thanks.  I thought it would be ok, but I hate taking chances this far in to batch.

Just as ghwren said.  I have double bagged hop pellets in the keg as well as used kneehighs.  I usually use kneehighs or a double layer of hop sacks when xfering from the fermenter to the keg.  I always soak either in sanitizer for 5 minutes and wring them out well. 

I also cover both the top of the keg and the fermenter with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and use starsan in a spray bottle for all surfaces (plastic/aliminum/carboy/keg top) when I am xfering from the fermenter to the the keg.

hey dave:

Hops are both bitterness and flavor.  In the boil the Alpha acids are maximized at 1hr boil.  Flavor is, however, maximized at 40min boil and aroma at 10min.  The less you boil your hops the less acid and flavor you get.  Dry hopping is basically aroma.  IMHO of course.

Take a look at this chart.  http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6953&title=hop-utilization&cat=1

Chas in Reno, formerly of Tahoe.

Just kegged the APA, along with a Pilsner that has been lagering for the last 2 months.  My two sons were blown away by how good they are.  I'm think neither of the kegs is going to last all the long ;D.

Since I want to have these ready for the labor day, I'm trying out a variation on force carbonating I thought might work.  The idea is to pump up the carbon dioxide pressure initially and then let the pressure fall naturally as the gas is absorbed.  Basically, I pumped up the pressure to 20 psi to start and then turned off the gas.  I'll check the pressure tomorrow and see where the carbonation is at - might have to pull a draft or two to verify its working though  ;).

Back