• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brown Ale Base Recipe for Pumpking Ale, Thoughts?

cheffriz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am planning on using an American Brown Ale as the base starter recipe for my Pumpkin ale. Looking for opinions on some feedback on what others have done.

Should work fine.  Many recipes are sort of based on ambers.  Big question, to me, is whether you want a pumpkin-focused beer or some hop counter-punch to it. 

But even among commercials there are many different styles of pumpkin ales.

I 've made 4 pumpkin ales this past fall, 2 with a brown ale base and 2 with a pale ale base. In the lighter versions I used 8 lbs of maris otter and 1 lbs of 40l crystal malt. Even though your using pumpkin (I've always used fresh) ,it,'s the spices that come through. Allspice,cinnamon,nutmeg, and a touch of clove, cloves can be overwhelming if used in excess.
  That said I preferred the lighter base better. Actually the color is a bright copper which looks alot like pumpkin. But there is more than one way to skin a cat, ain't there?

good brewin'

Back