• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

newbie to beersmith coming from promash

checker

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm really liking beersmith.  Easy to use and yet appears to have the technical depth to take me as far into the science as I'll ever want to go.  I'm having a little difficulity getting my head wrapped around the session to session use of beersmith tho'.  In promash, I'd start a new session, add a prefab recipe, and then mod the ingredients, mash profile, whatever, if desired.  These files would be stored in a 'session' folder.

I don't see the equivalent in beersmith.  What I've done so far is create my recipe and then copy it to a 'session' folder I created in the scratchpad area.  There I'd modify the name and ingredients, put in actual measurements and any session notes.  Thought I had it but when I look at the calendar view, recipes in scratchpad don't appear.  Also, the scratchpad needs to be loaded after starting the program which doesn't seem correct.  I think I need a slight paradigm shift.  And I'm a bit confused as to the use of the scratchpad.

Thanks,

-Chris

I'm still very new to BeerSmith myself, so hopefully someone will chime in and confirm.  What I do is highlight a recipe I've entered and then do 'copy to brewlog'.  This creates a copy of the recipe in the Brewlog.  Modifying the brewlog recipe, adding notes, etc. doesn't affect the original.  The Brewlog then contains all the recipes you've brewed, exactly as you brewed them.

Somewhere in the options you have the ability to name of the Brewlog, so you could rename it to session if you like.

Thanks Chubba, that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Back