• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

extract- oops

lowell

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has this happened to you?  I added 20 percent of extract at beginning and after cooling down and adding oxygen, I discovered that I had not added the balance of extract. I poured the wort back into the kettle, heated it to 200 deg, stirred and back to the fermenter. Will this work?

It should, but you have not sterilized the wort by boiling.  Cross your fingers you don't get an infection. If you ever do it again, I'd disolve the balance of the extract in as little water as possible - maybe at a rate of 100-120 points/gallon and simmer for 10 min to sterilize (stirr constantly so it doesn't scortch), then add to your original wort.  Your gravity will be a little lower than planned but better than than dumping the batch for infected tasting beer.

Yeah, you should be fine. It's happened to me more than once. That's what happens when you drink while you make the drink. I've made a partial mash and was cooling the wort down when I saw the unopened can of malt on the counter. I just heated it up with as little water as I could. Two cans to one worked.

good luck

Back