• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

False bottom

mmtyler

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of making the leap from extract to all grain brewing.  I just purchased a false bottom, to use with a converted keg.  I went with Advanced Brewing Technology's 11 1/2 in. false bottom, that has a 3/8" OD flared dip tube.  I have not drilled a hole for my weldless 1/2" ball valve because I was curious if it would be better for the flared end to sit flush with the underside bottom of the false bottom, or, just right above the bottom of the kettle, or somewhere in between??  I would appreciate some insight on this and also any other suggestions from those who have this same setup.

Thanks

Mine is flush with the underside bottom of the screen and works wonderfully!  If it was flush with the bottom of the keg, or close to it there would be some potential of it clogging.

Thanks Sickbrew,

Just curious, while your mashing, do you stir your grains at all?  Seems like there would be a potential to cause the false bottom to move or sort of float around on the bottom.  Just trying to improve the learning curve.

I do stir the mash to maintain a constant and yet desired temperature, unusually more in the beginning and then less towards the end.  The mash tends to cool from the outside-in and is more noticeable on those extra cool (freezing) brew days.  Whenever I add heat from the bottom stirring is absolutely required (protein rest, mash-out...etc). I also use Blickman's brewmometer.  After a few mashes and while noting the temps you will soon get a feel for temperatures change or don't change based on your actions. It's all very interesting in a geeky way.

I did worry initially about my false bottom moving around but have never had any issues.  The weight of the grain helps hold it down.  Also mine is mounted pretty rock solid and I don't worry about scrapping the bottom or clanking the pick-up (tip-tube) at all.  It would suck to have something come loose during the mash so make sure the install is tight.

cheers

Back