• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Exploding Bottle!!

M

maddspoiler

I Brewed an Irish Red a few weeks ago. I Let it ferment a week then it racked over. Let it sit for 2 weeks in secondary then bottled. Its been in the bottle for a week. I came home today and one of the bottles was broke(noticed the beer closet smelled like beer and I dont have anything fermenting at the moment)! Any way I looked at all three batches that I have bottled and found one Irish Red broke. They are in Grolsh Bottles. I used 1/2 cup of corn sugar to prime. SSG was 1.058. Final was 1.010. I used Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast for the batch. Do you guys think the bottle was already cracked and I didnt notice, or do you think I bottled too early or over primed? Im hoping it was a cracked bottle because I dont want to have 40 pint sized bombs in my closet(and I brewed them for my vacation at the end of june and hope Ill have em to drink). Take a look at the pic and tell me what you think. :-[ Thanks,

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 10
I once had the neck of a bottle come off in my hand when opening with a church key.
There was not excessive foaming from over carbonation, and I never had that trouble with another bottle from that or any other batch.  I wrote it off to rough handling somewhere along the line.  With reusing bottles as many times as we do, I am surprised that it doesn't happen more often.

I would chill up one of the remaining bottles from that batch and try it out tonight.  If that bottle is not over carbonated, you should be OK.  Just in case, you might want to open it over the sink.  ;D

I opened one and tried it, the beer was not over carbonated. I believe like you said, simply a mishandled bottle. I could still taste some priming sugar but in 3 more weeks or so I think it will be one smooth tasting treat. Thanks,

maddspoiler,

I always try to gently (no oxygenation) stir the priming sugar well because in the past I got lazy and I found some beers over carbonated and some flat in the same batch. Also I screwed up by not having the full 5 gallons in the priming bucket. I always measured the same amount of sugar forgetting that if I didn't have the full 5 gallons that I was over priming. I keep boiled water on hand if I look short.

Sometimes bottles just die. I reuse them so who knows how many times they are handled? I keg now. bottling is a pain!

Fortunately I've never experienced this (yet). But a good tip someone wrote is to put the suspect case inside a really tough trash bag to reduce the mess if the rest go boom. As Bob said, kegging rocks, even though I like to bottle once in a while. Another tip Bob mentioned is good to do. Sugar syrup is heavy. Some guys experience uneven carbonation if they don't gently stir. I put my sugar mixture in the bottom of the bottling bucket and use and old racking cane, upside down, so it swirls the beer as it syphons into the bucket. Over all, you probably had a weak bottle. It can happen.

Yeah I generally stir it in very slowly and after every 6-10 bottles Ill stir it again. I think it was just that bottles time to go. I have one cornie keg and am looking to buy a dual draft system sometime this summer. Bottling is such a pain, cant wait to start kegging.

Back