• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Some suggestions for Beersmith.

Dale_3rd

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I really love this software.  All the tools are really great.  I'd like to make a few suggestions for enhancements to the tools section.  First, a brew timer with a nice audible alarm.  I usually have my laptop running so I can use the refractometer tool and view the recipe I'm brewing.  It would be great to have a configurable timer for hops additions, i.e., set boil time, then set multiple alarm points for additions of hops etc.; an always on top window that doesn't close when you click other areas of the program screen would be great.  I just brewed a recipe that had 4 hops additions and thought it would be nice to be able to have an alarm that would notify me when to add them.

Also, I thought another neat tool would be a HLT water tool, something that you could, instead of bringing all your sparge water to 168F or whatever you needed, maybe a tool that could calculate to bring X gallons of water to boiling and then a tool that calculates to add Y gallons of Z temp water to bring it down to a target temp.  For example, I've got a 10 gallon cooler for sparge water, I typically use a smaller pot to bring my sparge water up to temp., it's 4 gallons and easier to handle; it would be nice to have a tool that I could bring 4 gallons of water to a boil, then add X gallons of cool water to, to bring the total volume to a target temp.  Vice versa, start with X gallons of cold water and add Y gallons of boiling water for a total volume of a target temp.

Beersmith may already be able to do the later but I'm not familiar with how it could be done with strike or adjust mash calculators.

All in all, I really like the Beersmith program!!

Thanks Dale,
  I have a timer in the works, though it will probably be in an early update and not the first release.

I also like the boiling water idea and will look closely at adding that.

Brad

+1 on both of these ideas.

I have had many times where I didnt hit my mash temp exactly and would love an easy way to figure out how many qts/cups? of boiling water I would need to add to my mash.
Anything I add I can just take the same amount out of the sparge water to compensate for volume.

Glad to hear the timer idea is at work.

Great software though, I switched from Promash over a year ago and love BeerSmith more! I  preordered my update right when I heard about it.

Hi,
  You can use the "mash adjust" tool (Tools menu) if you happened to miss your target temp - it will calculate exactly how much water you need to add (hot or cold) to correct your temperatures.

Brad

Back