• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need Help with Hop Weights and Schedule for 60 IBU

ultravista

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am working on a recipe that is measured at 60 IBU.

My setup is all-grain, 5.25 gallons (final product) 15.5 gallon keggle and 10 gallon mash tun.

The target recipe is:
OG – 1.084
TG – 1.020
IBU - 60
ABV - 8.7%

2 Row – 68% (about 11.15 lbs.)
Munich – 22.5% (about 3.70 lbs.)
C15 – 9.5% (about 1.55 lbs.)
Boiling Hops – Perle
Finishing Hops – Sterling

What I need help with is the hop weights and timing schedule to get to 60 IBU.

Who can help get me to 60?

Are you using BeerSmith?

I'd put in the amount of finishing hops you want, as they will contribute a small amount of IBUs, even if boiled 5 to 10 minutes.

Same for any flavor hops in the 20 to 35 minute range. 

Then put in the boil hops and increase the amount until IBUs hit 60. 

Make sure the AA% of the hops in BeerSmith matches what you've actually got on hand.  The software defaults may not be the same on what you bought.

Matt - I do have Beersmith but being new to creating recipes, I am confused.

This is a Rogue Double Dead Guy clone; Rogue lists the IBU at 60 so that's where I need to be.

What I need help with is getting to 60 IBU. I assume since this calls for 60 IBU, that most if not all of the bittering will begin at 60 minutes. The aroma and flavoring (Sterling) will come in somewhere near the end.

If you were brewing this, would you go with Pearle at 60, then add Sterling at 5 to 0 minutes OR would you break the Pearle into 60, 30, and 15 minute additions, then the Sterling.

Then to addo the confusion, there is Rager and Tinseth. Each results in wide IBU range; less in Tinseth and more with Rager.

I'm confused ... I just need to get to 60 IBU.

ultravista said:
.....would you go with Pearle at 60, then add Sterling at 5 to 0 minutes

Then to addo the confusion, there is Rager and Tinseth. Each results in wide IBU range; less in Tinseth and more with Rager.

Given what you've said, this sounds better.  I would also guess Rogue uses Rager, so change BSmith to Rager as well.  Under Tools \ Options \ Bitterness

Back