• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ARGGH!!!

petho

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have Beersmith installed on my computer running windows 7.
I downloaded the trial version then bought the license. It worked fine for 6 months but now it tells me that the trial period is up and I need to purchase the license, when i enter the license key again, all of my recipies are GONE! Im Pissed. This has happened before and I have to do a system restore to get the files back.
Has anyone else had this problem?
What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a change of user permissions - usually it occurs when you have changed your "User Access Control" permissions under Windows for your main account, though it could also happen if you change your user account type under windows from administrator to a normal user or back.

The quick fix is to change your user access control or account settings back to the old settings, export any data you want to keep, then change back and import it in again.  There are other ways to recover the data, but in most cases this is the quickest way to do it.

Option 2 is to actually locate your proper Recipe.bsm file with your data in it (its not gone):

By default Recipe.bsm is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista/Win 7.

Note that on many systems this is a hidden/system directory which will not show up unless you go into the options for Windows file explorer and set it to show hidden/system files.  Also you may need to sub "Program Files (x86)" for "Program Files" above if you are running 64 bit.

BeerSmith 2 does bypass this problem entirely - all data is stored under Documents/BeerSmith2.

Brad

The recipies seem to be gone. I am going to have to recreate them from scratch.
I am going to uninstall then reinstall and see if that is stable.
My user access doesnt change so I am not sure what is happening.

Did you try checking the locations above (including the hidden directory which is under AppData).  In every case I've seen, the data was not deleted by windows just moved its pointer to it when the user permissions changed.  Note that I've heard of these permissions changing by installing a program or even doing certain updates to software.

Brad

Back