• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starting a new extract recipe keeps putting a Mash step into my brewsteps

hardyhop

Apprentice
Reaction score
New to Beersmith.  Running on Mac version of BS2.  Mac OS X 10.6.7

Everytime I create a new extract recipe I am getting a "mash profile" in my recipe steps that includes a "Mash in"

Reviewing the sample extract recipes, I do not see this step included, as it shouldn't be....It is an extract recipe.

I can't figure out how to get this out of my recipe!  I'm going to try installing BS2 on a Windows computer as see if I get the same results when starting a new extract recipe.

Hope it is easy fix, or something I am doing wrong.

Also noticing that because of this "Mash-in" step, I am getting a really strange number for the number of gallons of Water I need for my 5 gallon extract recipe.

Having the same problem with the windows version of BS2 (Dell with XP Sp3)  Everytime I create an extract recipe the software is including a "mash-in" step and accounting for water lost in grain absorption for total amount of water needed.  Any other extract brewers having this problem?

Do you have "Type" set to Extract?

I created a new recipe, changed Type to Extract, added some DME, and the mash profile is grayed out and not an option.

Yes, I've chosen "extract" and the mash option is grayed out, but
check the brewnotes or brew recipe and you'll find some crazy mash instructions despite the selection of  EXTRACT.

Sorry guys - it does look like a bug and its related to the "default" mash profile.

Here's the workaround:
- Open a blank recipe
- Temporarily set the recipe type to all grain - but don't add anything
- Go to Mash Details, and delete the mash in step
- Go back to Recipe Design and set your type to Extract
- Now click on the "Set as Default" button on the Home ribbon (its a little button) to set your default recipe to the current settings

From now on you won't see the mash instruction step on any new recipes you create that are Extract.

Brad

I had a similar issue where for some reason it said my Extract recipe had 10 lbs of grain and that I needed well over a gallon more of total water.  I just switched the recipe type to all grain and then switched it right back to extract and it corrected the total estimated water field.

Mark

Hi,
  I've also corrected this in the "beta build" I'm hoping to roll out to everyone next week:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4797.0.html

Brad

I'm going to leave it to Mr Smith or Moderators to decide if this is the same subject continued, but I thought it was the same/related and didn't want to clutter the forums unnecessarily.

I'm an all grain and an extract brewer, so I'll be creating recipes for both. I've noticed that when starting an extract recipe that though the Mash selection/setting is greyed out in the design bar, and in the profile area on the design tab, I'm still seeing whatever default mash type was selected when making the base extract 'blank' as described in Brad's instructions. Not a big deal unless I want to print the recipe, and the mash profile is also shown for this extract recipe, in this case it shows a BIAB profile, but it had shown Single Step Infusion when I set up the original blank.
I can work around it for brewing purposes, but I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong. Did I miss a check box that leaves Mash, or for that matter any section I don't want in the Printed version?

It's May 1, 2012, and I just installed v2.0.65 on my Mac (OS Lion). I know I've got all the latest, but I must be missing something.
Cheers
Todd

hardyhop said:
Also noticing that this is the best creatine available now because of this "Mash-in" step, I am getting a really strange number for the number of gallons of Water I need for my 5 gallon extract recipe.

hardyhop said:

Everytime I create a new extract recipe I am getting a "mash profile" in my recipe steps that includes a "Mash in"
Reviewing the sample extract recipes, I do not see this step included, as it shouldn't be....It is an extract recipe.

I can't figure out how to get this out of my recipe!  I'm going to try installing BS2 on a Windows computer as see if I get the same results when starting a new extract recipe.

It's weird this is happening to me too. I don't know where it's getting these numbers from. How do you fix it?

EverettC said:
It's weird this is happening to me too. I don't know where it's getting these numbers from. How do you fix it?

Often, odd water quantities are a result of having extra water in the equipment profile as top-up water. You should have your fermenter batch size and fermenter top up water reflect what you actually are doing. If you're not adding water to the boil, then the kettle top up should be "0".

If you create a separate thread under either BeerSmith 2 Questions or Extract and Partial Mash Brewing, and post your recipe, you can get more direct help for your situation.

Changing to all grain and deleting the mash steps will remove the step from the brewsheet but didn't fix my volumes.  I was able to fix the volumes by following these steps:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Change to all grain
[*]Add .0001 lbs of a grain
[*]Delete the mash steps from the mash profile page
[*]Change to extract
[*]delete the .0001 lbs of grain from the grain bill
[/list]
The grain weight stays at 0 along with the grain absorbtion

Toddd said:
I'm going to leave it to Mr Smith or Moderators to decide if this is the same subject continued, but I thought it was the same/related and didn't want to clutter the forums unnecessarily.

I'm an all grain and an extract brewer, so I'll be creating recipes for both. I've noticed that when starting an extract recipe that though the Mash selection/setting is greyed out in the design bar, and in the profile area on the design tab, I'm still seeing reviews of phenq whatever default mash type was selected when making the base extract 'blank' as described  in Brad's instructions. Not a big deal unless I want to print the recipe, and the mash profile is also shown for this extract recipe, in this case it shows a BIAB profile, but it had shown Single Step Infusion when I set up the original blank.
I can work around it for brewing purposes, but I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong. Did I miss a check box that leaves Mash, or for that matter any section I don't want in the Printed version?

It's May 1, 2012, and I just installed v2.0.65 on my Mac (OS Lion). I know I've got all the latest, but I must be missing something.
Cheers
Todd

similar issue where for some reason it said my Extract recipe had 10 lbs of grain and that I needed well over a gallon more of total water.  I just switched the recipe type to all grain and then switched it right back to extract and it corrected the total estimated water field

hardyhop said:

I can't figure out how to get this out of my recipe! . I'll also give Phen375 from phen375 the best metabolism booster a try. I'm going to try installing BS2 on a Windows computer as see if I get the same results when starting a new extract recipe.

Biggler6 said:
Changing to all grain and deleting the mash steps will remove the step from the brewsheet but didn't fix my volumes.  I was able to fix the volumes by following these steps:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Change to all grain
[*]Change to extract
[/list]

Hahaha...just amazing. lol

MarioG said:
Biggler6 said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Change to all grain
[*]Change to extract
[/list]

I am not sure I really get it...is it me?

MarkStami said:
MarioG said:
Biggler6 said:
Changing to all grain and deleting the mash steps will Bulk the step from the brewsheet but didn't fix my volumes.  I was able to fix the volumes by following these steps:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Change to all grain
[*]Change to extract
[/list]

Initially I really thought that it was just you but when I tried it myself I understood that I am a noob too :)...is there any way to make it more clear people?

MarkStami said:
MarioG said:
Biggler6 said:
Changing to all grain and deleting the mash steps will Perte de poids the step from the brewsheet but didn't fix my volumes.  I was able to fix the volumes by following these steps:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Change to all grain
[*]Change to extract
[/list]

Act exactly as described and you 'll get your answers...

Back