• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopped Extracts

mm658

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I had set up some hopped extracts in BeerSmith 1.4 and successfully imported them into BeerSmith 2.  However, when I edit any of them, I can't find anywhere to enter/adjust the bitterness for an extract. 

In v1.4, this was done via the "Equivalent Hops in Extract" section at the bottom of the edit pane (Alpha, weight, boil time and per extract weight) .  It appears that this methodology may have been replaced by an "end result" IBU/gallon-pound measure (presumably what Brad was referring to in reply #3 of this thread http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,1288.0.html), which looks like it's going to be simpler to work with.  But...not if it can't be edited/entered!

How does one enter bitterness for a hopped extract in v2?

I should add that the "IBU-gal/lb" for the hopped extracts that I imported into v2 are indeed being reflected in recipes that I build with these hopped extracts. 

I just can't find any way to edit them (or enter them, if adding a new extract in the grains section).

PS -
FWIW, the IBU being calculated for my hopped extract recipes is higher than it was in v1.4, but that's perhaps another question for another day, and certainly something that can be adjusted...IF there is a place to make those adjustments.  Hence, my original question...

Wow!
  That is a major problem - I'll put this one high on the list for the first update.  As you point out the field is internally being stored but for some reason not being displayed.  I think the field is "selective" in that it is only displayed for certain types of grains such as extracts but it looks like somewhere along the way it became "too selective"!

Brad

Thanks, Brad. 

One more question, just to confirm:  is that new field (IBU-gal/lb) your revised approach to the problem discussed a few years in the thread link I provided my first post?  Basically, a way to apply a static, scalable IBU contribution for a given amount of extact, which can be excluded from any hop boil calculations?  If so, that's a great improvement for those of us that sometimes combine hopped extracts with more "traditional" ingredients!

Regards...

Yes - I did go to IBU-gal per pound which should be much easier to do than the old method of entering a whole bunch of stuff.  It is basically a measure of how many IBUs are injected in a pound of malt (per gallon of wort).

Brad

Back