• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew steps / brew sheet doesn't change til you close the recipe

jhenry

Apprentice
Reaction score
BeerSmith 2.0.37, Windows 7

I noticed today that if I modify a recipe (say, adding or subtracting fermentables) the brew sheet does not change.

1) Open an existing all-grain recipe
2) Click Brew Steps, observe estimated pre-boil gravity, close the window
3) Add 5 pounds of some base malt
4) Open Brew Steps again

Expected result: pre-boil gravity is higher, new grain is listed under mash ingredients
Actual result: pre-boil gravity did not change, new grain is not listed

If I close the recipe and re-open it, the brew steps displays the new value. This affects other fields too, like total water needed and hops.

"This is a known issue and will be patched it in an early update."

Revised.  This may or may not be a problem depending on your perspective.  However, I agree, I very much prefer dynamic updates rather than only when saves.  Quite often I don't want to save.  Especially when designing.

Actually - I have gone back and forth on this.  My position was that you really should not see a change to the brew steps (at least the one opened outside the recipe) until the recipe is saved.

For example:
- If I open a recipe, and add some biscuit malt to it then press Brew Steps I do get the modified directory
- If I open a recipe, add some stuff to it and then open Brew Steps outside of the open recipe, I get the old recipe
- However - is this really wrong - since you did not save the changes to the recipe yet by pressing OK?

Brad

Thanks for the reply, Brad. I missed this feature when I needed to make on-the-fly changes during a brew session. For example, yesterday I made my first batch on BeerSmith 2 :) After the mash, I chilled down a gravity sample while bringing the wort to a boil. I found my gravity low and wanted to find out how much extract I need to add to correct it. I added 1lb, hit brew steps... and nothing changed. I spent another 5 minutes screwing around before I figured out what BeerSmith expected of me. I didn't want to save the recipe yet because I wasn't sure how the extract would impact things.

My 2c is when I perform an action, I want to act on what's on the screen, not what was on the screen in the past. It's also a change in functionality from BeerSmith 1, where basically everything was autosaved the moment you did it (in practice if not in the code).

You could also solve my specific issue by displaying always up-to-date pre-boil gravity next to the OG, I suppose.

Both camps could be pleased if there were 'Save and exit', 'Save' and 'Exit without saving' option. At the moment you are forced to close your recipe before you can generate a Brewsteps sheet with your changes on it.

I like the concept of being able to flddle around with a recipe then ignore the chages i've just made.

Smashin

I am new to BeerSmith but not new to programming. I see this as a bug and in no way a feature. Why would I want to see the results of a recipe that is not on the screen? A simple save and save-as under the file pull down would be the answer.

Just my 2 cents …. I’ll acclimate to whatever is decided.

Bruce

Back